Statement of Community Involvement (2023)
Consultation on the Statement of Community Involvement (2023)
The Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) sets out how the council intends to involve the local community in planning issues, setting out:
- who will be consulted
- when involvement should take place
- which methods will be used.
Its purpose is to ensure active community participation in the planning process, whilst also making sure the best decisions are made. The consultation on the draft SCI runs from Friday 9 June through to 4pm on 21 July 2023.
Why is the Statement of Community Involvement being updated and what is being proposed through these changes?
The current SCI is five years old and it is now being updated to reflect the most up to date legislation and also reflect current consultation methods.
Some key proposed changes include:
- Greater explanation of the planning system, why we need a Statement of Community Involvement and the role of consultation
- A new summary of Planning Policy documents and which ones will be consulted upon
- Updates to the consultation methods to be used, particularly in terms of online/digital forms of engagement
- Reference to updating neighbourhood plans
- Information on consultation relating to the Community Infrastructure Levy
- Tips on how to get involved in planning policy consultations
- Updates to consultations methods on planning applications
Where can the Statement of Community Involvement be viewed?
Hard copies of the document are available for public viewing at the borough council’s offices at London Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 4AH between the hours of 8.30 – 4.30 Monday to Friday.
They are also available to view in all libraries across the borough, and Newbury Library, during their normal opening hours.
The Statement of Community Involvement is also available to view at the bottom of this page and on the Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Website here.
Representations in relation to the Statement of Community Involvement should be submitted to the borough council using one of the following methods:
- online through the portal
- online representation form at Statement of Community Involvement (basingstoke.gov.uk)
- return representation form or submit written comments by post to: Planning Policy Team, Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke RG21 4AH
- return representation form or submit written comments by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those representations that are made in writing and that are received by the council within the consultation period (until 4pm on Friday 21 July 2023) will be considered. All responses will then be considered by the Planning Policy Team.
Make an Online Submission
To make an online submission please Register as a New User, using the link located on the right of the screen. This is a one-time process. Once you have activated your registration through the link sent to your email address, you can then log in and make a submission.
Submissions may be made via this consultation portal using the Make a Representation link on the right of screen.
There are benefits of making a submission using this consultation portal. For example, you can:
- Start your submission and complete later.
- Get notifications and updates about the consultation.
Make a Written Submission
Planning Policy Team,
Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council,
Civic Offices, London Road,
What Happens Next?
Following the consultation, all comments will be taken into consideration prior to formal adoption of the SCI in 2023.
Staying in Touch
- If you wish to receive updates when a planning consultation is launched, subscribe to a 'category'. For example, 'Local Plan Update'.
- If you wish to receive updates on any other area of planning policy including when new documents are published, please subscribe to a 'mailing list'. For example, 'Monitoring'.
You can subscribe to both categories and mailing lists and unsubscribe to at any at any time.
If you have any questions, please contact the Planning Policy Team at Local.Plan@basingstoke.gov.uk or phone 01256 844 844 and ask for Planning Policy.